Difference between somefolder.somesite.com and somesite.com/somefolder?

webmaster1

I'm not familiar with the punctuated approach. Is there a specific terminology used to refer to this type of url so I can search for a few explanations?

Are there any benefits to using one over the other? WHEN should I use either one or does it even matter?

I usually use subdomains for a separate set of content on a domain. For example, I have three sections on my domain - one for anonymous users, one for family/friends, and one for clients. All three have different data on them, though they use the same site design. The three domains are:

personal.domain.com

clients.domain.com

www.domain.com

All of these could be done in sub folders, but I prefer to keep them as distinct domain names to prevent people accidentally accessing the wrong domain and/or myself posting the wrong data to the wrong domain.

I do also have three more sub-domains:

js.domain.com

css.domain.com

img.domain.com

I serve javascript, css and images from these three domains to speed up the page load time slightly. But they are never directly accessed by anyone.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.