Any recommendation for a great php reference

pernest

Hello,

Firstly, I'm sorry for posting to this forum, but I couldn't see a more appropriate one.

I feel I've learnt the basics now and want to get a solid reference book (so I wont need to be bothering this forum all the time).

The type of book I'm looking for would ideally be the php equivalent to Herbert Schildt's c++ the complete reference. If there was a paper form of the php manual www.php.net/manual/en/manual.php, then I would buy it in a snap. I love the format: function or keyword; description; arguments; return values; [example if necessary]. Something that covers everything with the minimum of fuss.

Having spent quite a lot of time looking at amazon reviews and other forums discussing a similar topic, I get the feeling that the response I'm most likely to get to this post is 'the online manual is the best reference'.

Once again, its all in the manual: http://www.php.net/download-docs.php

Thanks, unfortunately this is the answer I anticipated. I love the manual, its always the first, and usually the only reference I need to turn to. However I also really like to have a physical paper reference when I'm coding. It would be nice if the authors of the manual could get together with a publisher and turn it into a well structured book (it would probably need to be multi volume).

Be aware that there are changes to the online manual introduced almost everyday. That's probably one of the reasons it's not been published.

Remember, PHP has no formal specification and as such there does not exist a true reference, like for other programming languages (perhaps most notably ANSI C, but also many others). The manual mostly describes details of this specific implementation.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.