Network activity through the roof

cglavan

Hi all,

I manage a small web hosting business, and am having some massive network issues with one of my servers.  I have a dedicated server with the following specs:

Dual Opteron 250 @ 2.4ghz

8gb RAM

Windows Server 2008 R2 (64-bit)

IIS 7.5

PHP 5.2.13

MySQL Server 5.1

All current security patches and updates installed

I've managed to successfully install and configure PHP, and have a number of sites up and running with no apparent issues.  However, the problem that I'm seeing when viewing the resource monitor is that my network is getting hammered with outbound traffic.  The network utilization gets pegged around 97% on a pretty consistant basis, with periods of drop-off for around 2-3 minutes, and then back up.  The process that appears to be getting all the attention is php-cgi.exe.  The PHP sites that I am hosting for my customers are nothing that should be seeing anywhere near that type of traffic.

I have IIS configured to use FastCGI in the Handler Mappings.  I did so by following instructions that I found to add a new Module Mapping, and set it to use the FastCGI module, and point to the php-cgi.exe executable in my PHP directory.

I've searched the internet for a monitoring program that would allow me to view the specific PHP file that is being called, this way I could trace it back to a specific customer account, however nothing like that appears to exists from my research.  The only option that I have as of now is to disable PHP on the server and move my PHP customers over to a Linux box.  The only problem with that is that I do not currently have a Linux box configured, and would rather avoid that scenario if at all possible..

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can figure out what is going on, and fix this issue?  It is causing me a lot of grief, and even more important a lot of connectivity issues with my ASP.Net sites, and my hosting control panel.

Any help will be greatly appreciated, and not forgotten.

Thanks in advance,

-Chris

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.