1 hour code time for tentative new site--MUCH advice needed

RopeADope

In short, I'm AWFUL with designing my own sites.  Designing sites for others I can do no problem, but I'm ridiculously critical of my personal site.  So I did some research and looked at the commonalities of the websites of professional web designers and here's what I came up with...

• Big images
  • Simple color schemes
  • Less content, more space

This is what I've seen the most of per cssremix.com so that's what I've tried to mimic with my site.  As the title suggests, there's only around an hour of coding into it including graphics.  The words are semi-pointless, more there just to test the layout, and please ignore the hover events as I haven't taken the time to change them yet.

http://chad-scribner.com/sandbox/active/

SIDE NOTE: Is there a way to implement sIFR without being able to edit the .fma file that the documentation suggests?  I'd really like to have nice clean writing on this but I have nothing to edit flash files with.

Well. I think the problem here is you hit a wall and decided to share this website prematurely. It's okay but what kind of comments are you expecting? It's really not done enough to make a well rounded critique nor can we provide guidance because we don't know what your intentions are. I would finish this.. or get much closer to it before asking for a critique.

That being said...

If you sent me this looking to get hired I would first be impressed by the simple layout. The { }'s not moving when I scrolled was impressive. Then I read what you can do and I see none of it. No brilliant code, no photoshop, just text. You see why this is hard to critique? .. If i didn't have a large attention span I would have typed 'who cares?' and hit post long ago. Put another 9 hours into it before trying to get a pat on the head.

I indeed hit a wall.  I'm not sure exactly what comments I am/was expecting but something to the tune of "you're on/off the right track".  The bullet points I put are what I've surmised from looking around, but I wasn't sure if I was right on those points or if there were other big points I was missing.

The text, like I noted, is semi-pointless.  Its really just so I can see how things will exactly fall.  I plan on doing some marker style icons for my top bullet points, then maybe a word cloud for the sub points, and I need to throw in some color.  I'll repost once I have some more time into it...then hopefully I can get a "pat on the head" haha.

As a base you're on a good start, I like the concept but that doesn't mean anything if you can't take it to the finish. In my mind I can see where I would take this site but that wouldn't do you a service because this is your chance to promote you and what makes you unique... if we told you where to take this site it would no longer be your creativity. Take it a few more steps and then we can give you what you'll need to polish the edges.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.