Has anyone got a good UML tutorial?

Garethp

Hey guys. I'm in desperate need of a Good UML tutorial. Something that is easy to wrap my head around, and won't bust my brain trying to understand all the jargon. Basically I need to learn the basics of UML within 12 hours. Big ask, I know. I know you may be wondering why I need to do this, and it's not be being irresponsible.

I'm trying to get into a Programming course in TAFE (An Australian College) on Software Development. I didn't do the prerequisite (because the level of certification that the pre-requisite is at is agonizingly easy, and I'll spend a year learning the stuff I already know). The thing is, because I didn't do the prerequisite, they're giving me two tests to see if I'm capable of handling the course I want to get into.

The first part is a practical Java test (which I can do), the second part is a test on UML. Until today, I'd never heard of UML, but I've read for the last hour and I've got a basic understanding of what it IS. But now I need to learn the specifics of it quickly. The site I'm reading now explains it, but it's hard to read. I'd rather understand it THEN learn the jargon. Anyway, if you guys have any good, easy to read websites that can teach me, I'd love to get them.

Thanks, Gareth

Yes. The prerequisite teaches both Programming and Project Management. I know the programming aspect. However, I have an aptitude to pick things up quickly, and I don't want to do the prerequisite. The prerequisite is three semesters, and what I want is one semester. I dislike wasting time on things I don't have to. I could have dropped out of school two years ago and just done the prerequisite, but I didn't. Mainly because I didn't know I could. But I don't think I'dve been ready for the life outside Highschool then. That's a mute point.

Basically I don't want to waste the last two years of my life, and I don't want to waste the next year and a half of my life. I'm willing to take on an extra workload on my own time to catch up, but I need to get enough of an understanding to get me to the course I want to do.

Yes, I don't know everything that I should. However, I won't let this stop me. I won't let this set me back from my plan. I want to do this, and I'll give it my absolutely best shot. Worst case scenario, I can skip some of the pre-req. based on how well I do in this test. But I don't want to settle when I still have a hope. I don't want to give up before I give it my all. I did that in Highschool, and I won't do it now.

I'm going to do everything I can to achieve my goal. I'm just asking if anyone can help me make it easier, by giving me resources to understand this quicker.

Edit: On that note, can someone explain what the difference between and association and an aggregation is to me?

UML is big, what is it exactly that they are asking? a class diagram? Have you got any experience creating ERD schema's? When you create a class diagram you think about the relations between each class (parent, child, contributor, ..).

http://www.digilife.be/quickreferences/QRC/UML%20Quick%20Reference%20Card.pdf

+ = public

- = private

# = protected

Composition = create the object inside an object

Aggregation = create the object outside the object and pass it to the object

paremeters are shown as:

<variableName> : <variableType>

the same goes for class variables

<visibility> <variableName> : <variableType>

association: A -----> B

class A {

private $B;// regardless if composition or aggregation

}

---|> is inheritance (specialization)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.