$(function(){}??

detestableguy

I have got a code about rating. My problem is that a link calls javascript in a following way

<a href='javascript:;'  class='vote_up' id='27'>Vote Up!</a>

where the javascript begins in following way

$(function(){

$("a.vote_up").click(function(){

//get the id

the_id = $(this).attr('id');

........... goes on...........

}

My problem is I want to convert this link in something like "<a href="javascript(rating (id))" />

How can I do this? And please also tell me what does it mean when a function starts with "$" sign?

My problem is I want to convert this link in something like "<a href="javascript(rating (id))" />

Why? The method you are using is much better as it allows you to keep your javascript separate from your markup.

And please also tell me what does it mean when a function starts with "$" sign?

Nothing in particular. $ is just another variable. In this case it looks like it is the jQuery framework.

As far as it's use in this case and in general it seems the dollar sign ($) is used for abbreviating document.GetElementById. In this case:

$("a.vote_up").click(function()

Would be like writing:

document.GetElementById("a.vote_up").click(function()

I haven't had much luck using it, but from a bit of googling this is the best answer I came up with back when I was trying to figure out  the same thing.

As far as it's use in this case and in general it seems the dollar sign ($) is used for abbreviating document.GetElementById. In this case:

Nope, in this case (as I said) it is the jQuery object.

Nope, in this case (as I said) it is the jQuery object.

Do explain to us humble muggles, if you have the time.

jQuery is a popular Javascript framework (See http://jquery.com). It uses $ to refer to the jQuery object which in turn provides all of jQuery's functionality.

var foo = $('#foo');

The variable foo would now hold a reference to the element with an id of 'foo' wrapped within a jQuery object. This allows you to easily use jQueries methods on said element. eg;

var foo = $('#foo');
foo.click(function() {
  alert('You clicked the foo element');
});

Where 'click' is a method of the jQuery object.

The problem is  I am calling multiple javascript files in a .php page. Thats why the script is not working.

If I do not import other javascripts, then it works fine.

Please help me, tell me how can I call that particular function to run "rating" script?

Attached file is that javascript file which is called by the following html code

<a href='javascript:;'  class='vote_up' id='27'>Vote Up!</a>

[attachment deleted by admin]

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.