How do I replace mysqli with mysql???? Please help!

nerd99

Hi,

I'm not sure that this is the right place to post this but I was scared off by the message at the top of the mysql forum and worried that I wouldn't get a response.

I have a big problem. I have spent the last 4months developing a web portal using mysqli string queries. Upon uploading it to my host (ixwebhosting.com) I am told that the server does not support mysqli, only mysql.

I went through and did a 'Find & Replace' on ALL of my files as advised by ixwebhosting's help centre. Upon re-uploading the site all has gone askew. I can connect to the database but there are mysql errors everywhere.

Just trying to get the index page content I have the following error:

Warning: mysql_query(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /hsphere/local/home/krismack/inschool.com.au/main_site_home.php on line 5

Here is the main_site_home.php

<?php

//Fetch the main site 'home' content from the database

$result = mysql_query($connection,"SELECT * FROM main_site")
or die(mysql_error($connection));

while($row = mysql_fetch_array($result)) {

/* Fetching profile */

$home = $row['home'];

}

echo format_html("<p>$home</p>");

?>

What I really need to know is this: have I done this the correct way? Can you just 'Find & Replace' all 'mysqli' with 'mysql' or do they follow completely different commands?

This is very stressful, the site is supposed to be up and running in a day with dozens of users waiting to use the site. Can somebody please help! What do I need to do to get this working?

Why not writing a bunch of 'mysqli_'-named functions by yourself, just to wrap mysql_ ones?

I think that would be better than changing all function calls in your code, especially if you should switch back to mysqli, some day

Hi nerd99 :)

Don't change your code, change your host. I thought every host supported mysqli by now.

You can't just change the word "mysqli" to "mysql" and hope it will work. Mysqli has a different syntax, you have to change whole lines, and there is way too much code to change in your project for it to be worth the time. (I know, I have seen most of it... very very fine mysqli code. :) ). I'm not surprised if you are seeing thousands of errors.

You need a host that will support the .com.au domain. If dreamhost did that (which they don't), I'd recommend them.

Doug (the mad violinist)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.