Payment / SSL

Hi Chaps,

Bit of a newibe question regarding SSL Certificates and Payment Processing, I'm building an on-line shop and have got to the payment processing part.

I'm going down the Merchant Account / Payment Gateway route, rather than the third-party (PayPal) route.

What I need to know if whether I need to buy an SSL Certificate for my site as standard practice, and if I do, is it just the checkout/payment pages or the whole site?

If it is just the checkout pages, do I link to the pages through SSL like so:

<a href="https://www.domain.com/checkout.php">Continue to Checkout</a>

or would it automatically recognise that the page/directory is protected?

Hello,

If you use PayPal, or something similar, and your cart supports it, then no, you would not need to generate a CSR, then buy, configure, and install an SSL certificate on your server. (yes it can be that complicated).

If you use someone like Moneris, then your will need to do all of the above, and make sure that your shopping cart supports them. Some carts will claim they support that merchant, yet havn't updated that payment processor plugin in a long time.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.