Custom PHP code integration into Wordpress (plugin?)

Morphim

Hello. I wonder if someone can offer me some help advice on how to go about achieving this?.

Firstly, (disclaimer) I know very little about PHP but am eager to learn. However, I don't have much time to commit to learning it right now but need some idea on how to achieve what I'm after.

I have custom php code (coded by someone I have lost touch with), on a static html site, to enable users to login / out and create a simple profile (via a MySQL database)

My current (unfinished) site is here >> http://citizenart.com/tom which is an art site allowing users to upload, manage & sell their artwork.

The code also gives the user the ability to upload jpeg images at print resolution (A4 - 300dpi - saved in a 'print' folder')

However, when the image uploads, it automatically creates a thumbnail on the homepage (saved in a 'thumbs' folder)

IN addition to this, the relevant fields in a googlecheckout 'buy now' button are filled in (I'd like this for paypal too)

What I need is to be able to take the cusotm PHP code I have and alter it to integrate into WordPress (which I have set up) so that it has the same functionality but uses the WordPress user registration & database, so users can upload their artwork, manage it in their own profile area and have thumbnails sent to the main page with the 'buy now buttons'

So, on my current site, with the php code I have:

1. Users can register / login to a custom MySQL database. I'd like this process to be handled by the WP login program / database.

2. Users have a profile where they can edit / add / delete / comment on their own work. I'd like this handled via the WP profile. I'd also like other users to be able to accept comments on their work & be able to moderate them.

3. When users upload their work as a 300dpi A4 jpeg, an automatic jpeg thumbnail is generated and placed on the home page. This is also tagged by the users and is searchable.

4. The upload function saves the uncompressed jpeg in a 'print' folder on the server. There is also the additional (non mandatory) option for a PDF upload.

The jpeg upload  generates the thumbnail in a 'thumbs' folder but also generates a larger 'web optimized'  version in an 'images' folder which is accessed when the thumbnail is clicked (see site for example)

Therefore I also need to 'highslide' thumbnail click script to be integrated.

5. In addition to this, the 'title', description & 'buy now' button options are also filled. This is currently googlecheckout but I want to add paypal as an option too.

This is how it works at the moment but I need this functionality within wordpress.

If it's possible to have these options configurable as a WP plugin, so I can chose perhaps thumbnail size / compression, payment options etc etc from the admin panel?

So, in summary:

1. User registration / login / profile administration via wordpress & wp database

2. Automatic upload of jpeg functionality per user, integrated into wordpress and configuration in WP admin.

Hopefully all the code i have makes this easier and is just a case of altering it to fit the WP installation. Is this possible? Some direction would be greatly appreciated.

Please let me know if this is too WP specific??

Any advice / help gratefully received.

Thanks in advance

Which programming language? C++?  ;)

PHP

If your looking for someone to do it for you you will need to go to our freelance board, read the stickies then post your request if you agree with the terms.

What I was actually getting at was that I assume you are proficient at PHP programming.

The subtext of your brief reply was 'go away and learn how to do it yourself'

I'll be honest, I never understand replies like this. Is this really the most helpful reply you can muster? Do you only want to converse with expert PHP coders?

If you're annoyed / exasperated by non coder question, why reply?

What if you were a doctor. Would you send everyone away to 'learn medicine'?

However, I will post in the freelance section and see if I can find something more productive.

Thanks all the same.

I was merely stating fact. Surely you don't expect us to step you through every little step of the process. Its a bit like walking into a mechanic and saying 'my fuel injection is broken, can you tell me how to rebuild it?'

I'm really not sure what more productive a response I could offer to someone who doesn't know the language. You need to learn to walk before you can run.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.