Strange login problem - Help!

melting_dog

Hi all.

Im probably missing something here so forgive me if this is a noob question. I have created a login page for a site I am building at home with xampp. For the last week its been fine but just today when I try to use the login it redirects me to main.php - theres no such page in my folder structure.

my login looks something like this:

Login in page:

<form name="form1" method="post" action="loginProcess.php">

<input name="name" type="text" value="Name" size="40" maxlength="100" />

<input name="password" type="password" value="password" size="40" maxlength="100" />

<label><input type="submit" name="Submit" id="Submit" value="Submit" /></label>

</form>

loginProcess page (which doesnt actually get reached):

$name=$_POST['name'];

$password=$_POST['password'];

$name = stripslashes($name);

$password = stripslashes($password);

$name = mysql_real_escape_string($name);

$password = mysql_real_escape_string($password);

$sql="SELECT * FROM $tbl_name WHERE firstName='$name' and password='$password'";

$result=mysql_query($sql);

$count=mysql_num_rows($result);

if($count==1){

session_register("name");

session_register("password");

header("location:loginSuccess.php");

}

else {

$wrong = '<h3 style = "text-align: center;">Sorry! Wrong Username or Password</h3>';

}

ob_end_flush();

?>

Oddly enough, when I put in an incorrect name or password it does redirect to the right page. - Just wierd

anyone know why this is happening?

try changing this-->

$sql="SELECT * FROM $tbl_name WHERE firstName='$name' and password='$password'";

into this-->

$sql="SELECT * FROM $tbl_name WHERE firstName='$name' AND password='$password'";

and this-->

if($count==1){

}

into this-->

if(!empty($count)){

session_start();

$_SESSION['name']=$name;

$_SESSION['password']=$password;

}

let see if it works

Firstly, if you're going to use any $_SESSION data, you need to have session_start(); at the beginning of the script. Also, session_register() is deprecated. and should be changed to use the correct syntax (see below). And I can't think of any good reason to store a password in a $_SESSION var. Lastly, after a header() redirect, you should always follow it with exit(); to prevent the script form executing any further.

$_SESSION['name'] = $name;

and this-->

if($count==1){

}

into this-->

if(!empty($count)){

session_start();

$_SESSION['name']=$name;

$_SESSION['password']=$password;

}

I disagree. I think the query result should be verified to match one, and only one, record.

Firstly, if you're going to use any $_SESSION data, you need to have session_start(); at the beginning of the script. Also, session_register() is deprecated. and should be changed to use the correct syntax (see below). And I can't think of any good reason to store a password in a $_SESSION var. Lastly, after a header() redirect, you should always follow it with exit(); to prevent the script form executing any further.

$_SESSION['name'] = $name;

Thanks Robert and Pikachu. I have updated the session_register to $_SESSION.

It seems as if the session_start wasw the problem: i had it on a thrid page that redirected from loginProcess.php but have changed it to where robert suggested.

So alls fine now but i might have to do some more testing...

Cheers

They aren't the same, really. The expected result is exactly one record, not a record set of one or more records. Anything other than one record can indicate a data problem. Why not check for it since the query is being run anyhow, and trigger_error() and/or die() if it fails?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.