cPanel Alternatives?

Garethp

Ok, so I've never done server management before, but I tried installing cPanel on a dedicated server (Yes, I know that I wasn't qualified and shouldn't have done it without knowing anything about it) and I lost DNS information (There were 3 different domain names pointing to different folders on the server) and MySQL databases, and I couldn't point the DocumentRoot to where the files where after that, then I lost SSH access and then SecureFTP to the root file system, so suffice to say everything went up the shitter.

So I've downloaded CentOS and I'm about to install it on my PC so I can test on that first

I was just wondering, is there a cPanel alternative (preferably free) that I can install and it won't change my Apache/PHP/MySQL at all? I just want a control panel for managing FTP users and MySQL databases/users

So any advice would be great

cPanel changes the way most of your system works. To be honest, I hate control panel for this very reason.

Why not learn to manage your resources manually? FTP and MySql are reasonably easy to manage and you will find allot more documentation around for the traditional methods.

Because I want to learn how to build user-friendly servers. I could learn how to manage all that through SSH, and I will, but I also want to learn how to set up a server that has just the right level of control for the average web master, but that doesn't interfere with anything. It's just something I'd like to have in my knowledge.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.