2 wireless internet methods at once

The Little Guy

I have a laptop with a wireless card, and I have a wireless USB adapter, if I use them both to connect to the same router at the same time, will I get faster download speeds or a better connection?

I am currently far away from the router where I get 1-2 bars, so if I use 2 I was hoping to get 1-2 with the computer card and 1-2 with the USB adapter... possible?

Most programs can only talk to one network interface at once. Besides, the connection to your router isn't the bottleneck in transfers. The problem comes as soon as you leave your LAN, because that's when your ISP throttles your connection.

Having two wireless cards could result in one interfering with the other. However you should still play around with the idea as there may be some benefits IF one card is connected to the internet via your router and the other is only connected to your WAN and all file transfers to other machines on your LAN go on the one card while all your internet access goes through the other.

Keeping local file transfers off the main wireless would keep things from getting bogged down in some cases. However in the time it would take to play with this kind of setup and get it working well you'd probably be better off just buying a faster router and faster wireless card if you're not already on Wireless N protocol.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.