Simple RegEx problem...

Joshua4550

str_replace("\[quote.*\].*\[/quote\]", "", $myvar);

Basically trying to strip "[ quote=text ]message[ /quote ]" from $myvar (obviously no spaces)

Why doesn't it work?

By the way, I'm not a fan of RegEx - and I'm shit with them. I used RegExBuddy but this still doesn't work.

Pointers?

As far as I can tell the only things at fault with the OPs original post was the attempting to use str_replace (which doesn't support REGEX patterns) rather than preg_replace. And the fact that with preg_replace the pattern would require delimiters. Assuming the input could contain more than one quote block however you will also need to make the section between the

tags lazy (which I've done with the question mark). Also making the first catch all match lazy or changing it is required (I replaced it with 'one or more character(s) not ]).

$pattern = '#\[quote[^]]*\].*?\[/quote\]#';
$output = preg_replace($pattern, '', $input);

Probably because your input has newline characters between the

and

tags. By default the . does not match newline characters, if you need it to do so then add the s modifier, you may also wish to add the i modifier to make it case-insensitive, so that

will also match.

$pattern = '#\[quote[^]]*\].*?\[/quote\]#is';

What makes you say that, works as far as I can tell...

$input = '[quote="NAME_HERE"]
QUOTE_HERE[/quote]
Nice quote';
$pattern = '#\[quote[^]]*\].*?\[/quote\]#is';
echo $output;

Which is obvious why it didn't work as that output doesn't match the input you mentioned. It has a pairing ID in the opening and closing tag. You never once mentioned this, nor listed it in your example where you claimed it didn't work.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.