Include 'root' file from subdirectory

eevan79

How to include file from subdirectory?

I have tried include '../config.php';

but got error selecting database.

Also tried include($DOCUMENT_ROOT."../config.php"); but same result.

For example, I have "root/admin" directory, and cant connect (from "/admin" dir)  to database config.php which is in root.There are also other files to include.

You need to locate that file first... go into dreamweaver (if you have it) and physically find the file. Without a GOOD filepath, we can't help you locate the file.

Also, you don't include the "../" when using the $_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'] function. you are already at the root of the site. so $_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'] essentially equals www.your-domain.com you can't back up beyond that (well.. not entirely true - but you shouldn't be doing that =^)  ).

SO: i would just try require(' $_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT']./config.php') which will drop you in the site root.. the same place as your index (homepage).

I already tried that:

include($_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT']."./config.php");

and

include($_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT']."config.php");

and many other combinations...but it wont work.

That path is on/from localhost. Didnt tested online.

I need to locate path automaticly if its possible. For example to get working directory and go back one level. Is it possible (like in java or c++)?

Seems your server isn't setup quite right. Whats path is returned when you echo out $_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT']

echo $_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'];

$_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'] should echo the path to the folder where you place all your files for your site which is served by your http server, eg for Apache it maybe C:/Apache/htdocs, or if you're using IIS most probably C:/Innetpub/public.

Can you tell us where your config.php file is located (post full file path)?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.