Help with styling

Far Cry

Your site is extremely plain so far. I suggest looking into how to style things with CSS or even better create a layout in Photoshop. If thats not an option you can always download a free template online some where and edit it to suit your needs.

In addition to the comments already made, I would suggest that you change the title.  It appears as if your title is an image... for the sake of SEO and what not, it is always better to use text.  You can style a H1 header to look like your title.  Unless you turn this into some kind of logo later.

I also notice that some pages "are not ready yet"... <blink...blink...blink>... I think a simple piece of text may serve this purpose btter and wouldn't be so "in your face".

The basic layout looks fine... I just think it needs maybe less gradient a little bit of imagery and may look a bit better when it actually has some content or does something.

Another thing I'd like to point out is when I go to either the register or login pages I am taken to pretty much a blank site with the forms. Why don't you integrate those pages to have the same design as the rest of your site. I don't see why its necessary to have them separate.

• 4 weeks later...

No offense intended but there is no content, no visual appeal through images or crisp graphics.  The site simply does not "pop".  I would strongly suggest adding some video content (remember laws on copyrights!). 

Look at your site and ask yourself "why would I want to stay on this site?  what would interest people?"

Getting away from the gray and black would be a HUGE start.  Adding visual elements would begin to spruce it up.  Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...

If have quite some things I would suggest, with some things for long term in designing.

Try to read a book about photography. National geographic has some good ones. The good ones will tell you why a picture is a nice picture and why others aren't. There are some rules for shooting nice pictures one of them is the 1/3 rule.

Now you might think wtf should I do with that, well exactly the same thing. Apply the rules for photography on your site and it will be more of an eye catcher. And if you dont have time to read. Just go to flicker an look at the best rated photo's. Print like 10 of them out on paper and draw lines on them. 1 for the horizon, 1 for the unfocused part. one for the focused part, which is probably the subject. If you would have done this with 10 similar types of photos (i think landscapes are easiest to discover the rules) You will notice a similarity between them. If not get some beers and look again. Or visit a museum with classic drawings, not the spoiled contemporary bull crap art.

Also, I noticed your bottom scroll bar. Make sure you website is more accessible for other with screens that are not 19" +. I think 1000 pixels in width is more than enough. If you use a 4:3 ratio it will already look much better.

Oh and never centre align a video or any object like that, when there is no content to the left or right. But you will know that if you apply the first part of this lecture ;-)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.