Running programs remotely from a webpage

Bikkebakke

I need to make a webpage with a link/button (secured with a password) that (re)starts program(s) on the host computer.

I have no idea where to start working on this and I failed to find any help by Googling so I'm now asking for help on forums.

Basically the problem is, my friend is hosting a game server on a dedicated host, but for varying reasons the game server crashes every now and then (and usually it crashes just after my friend goes to sleep), so we have to wait untill my friend restarts the server.

I recalled, one guy created a webpage where you could do the restarting without having to share the access to the host itself, so I recon I'll figure out how-to to help my friend but unfortunately searching for the solution wasn't as easy as I thought.

Anyways, I hope someone could point me towards a solution so I could help my friend satisfy the addiction of a few hundred players by reducing the server downtime.  ;D

Thanks in advance.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.