updates using phpmyadmin prevents further form updates

fat creative

I have come across a problem in a database I am working with. I have a work around, but am still curious as to why this is happening and wondered if anyone else has experienced such a thing.  I have a form that updates my database. I submit it and it updates fine. However, if I edit the database using phpmyadmin and then submit the form again, it will no longer update that field in the database.  My form is updating a field to say YES and I edited it again in phpmyadmin to say NO and submit the form again, just to confirm everything is working. It won't update the database on the second submit.  However, I can submit the form several times and have it update different information in that field and it works.  Its only as soon as I update with phpmyadmin, the submit will no longer update that field. It will update other fields, just not the one I edited in phpmyadmin. 

Does anyone have any idea why this would happen? Thanks in advance for any help.

This is the code. I was originally testing paypals IPN and it wasn't working. I finally stripped everything down to a single update statement and thats when I discovered it wasnt the IPN, it was updating with phpmyadmin. My workaround is I'm just not updating with phpmyadmin anymore, I am using this form.  Now that I have the workaround, the form has grown quite a bit in complexity. But the problem existed when I was updating a single text field.

include('inc/dbc.php');

$email = $_POST['email'];

$city = $_POST['city'];

$featured = $_POST['featured'];

$today=date(Ymd);

$item_name = $_POST['item_name'];

// this will check what item was purchased, 1, 3 6 or 12 months and set the end date of the featured item to today PLUS that time lenght

if ($item_name == 'Subscription term: 1 month')

{

$featured_end_date = date('Y-m-d', strtotime('+1 month'));

}

if ($item_name == 'Subscription term: 3 months')

{

$featured_end_date = date('Y-m-d', strtotime('+3 month'));

}

if ($item_name == 'Subscription term: 6 months')

{

$featured_end_date = date('Y-m-d', strtotime('+6 month'));

}

if ($item_name == 'Subscription term: 12 months')

{

$featured_end_date = date('Y-m-d', strtotime('+12 month'));

}

$query = "SELECT * FROM vendors WHERE email = '$email'";

$result = mysql_query($query)

or die ("There was an error:<br />".mysql_error()."<br />Query: $query");

if(mysql_num_rows($result)) //if a record is found!!!

$ok = mysql_query("UPDATE vendors SET featured_end_date = '$featured_end_date', featured_start_date = '$today', featured = '$featured' WHERE email = '$email'") or die(mysql_error());

if($ok)

{

echo "record updated. city is $city and emai lis $email and featured is $featured and featured start date is $today and end date is $featured_end_date";

}

else

{

echo "sorry didint work";

}

}

else

{

$ok = mysql_query("INSERT INTO vendors (email, password, featured, featured_start_date, featured_end_date, active) VALUES('". mysql_escape_string($email) ."', 'password' ,'yes','$today','$featured_end_date', 'yes') ") or die(mysql_error());

if($ok)

{

$query1k  = "SELECT * FROM vendors WHERE email = '$email'";

$result1k = mysql_query($query1k);

while($row = mysql_fetch_array($result1k, MYSQL_ASSOC))

{

$sr = "sr";

$sr .= "$row[ttd]";

$sr2 = "sr2";

$sr2 .="$row[ttd]";

$sr3 = "sr3";

$sr3 .="$row[ttd]";

$sr4 = "sr4";

$sr4 .="$row[ttd]";

$ok1 = mysql_query("UPDATE vendors SET sr_ttd = '$sr', ttd2 = '$sr2', ttd3 = '$sr3', ttd4 = '$sr4' WHERE email = '$email'");

}

echo "record INSERTED. city is $city and emai lis $email and featured is $featured and featured end date is $today";

}

else

{

echo "sorry didint work";

}

}

Thank you for any suggestions!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.