XP sp2 & Apache 2.2 & MSSQL

On my Windows XP server(32bit) I have Apache2.2 in and running and now need to add php to the mix.

The php applications I already have need to access both MSSQL as well as Oracle.

Please recommend what version of PHP to download and install to effect the above.

I installed php-5.3.2-Win32-VC6-x86.msi and now Apache will not start.

No error messages that I can find and I have looked in both access.log and error.log.

Where else could I look for the problem.

BTW If I comment out the alterations made by the php install to my httpd.conf namely as follows

#BEGIN PHP INSTALLER EDITS - REMOVE ONLY ON UNINSTALL

#PHPIniDir "C:/Program Files/PHP/"

#LoadModule php5_module "C:/Program Files/PHP/php5apache2_2.dll"

#END PHP INSTALLER EDITS - REMOVE ONLY ON UNINSTALL

then Apache works again.

Is it the VC6 thread safe version?

Aside from that, assuming those are valid locations, I don't see why Apache wouldn't start.  What errors do you get?

Also, if you're using the old mssql_* extension, I'm not sure how easy it's going to be to get that working with a recent version of PHP.  Well, it shouldn't be too bad actually, if you're using MSSQL 2000.  If  I remember correctly, it requires ntwdblib.dll, and MSSQL 2000 was the last version to actively use (and contain) that.  You can of course download it from random places.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.