personal webpage

Grandioso

I've just published my second personal webite. I recently started to learn jQuery, as you will see, but it's 100% functional with javascript disabled (which gave me a little extra work :))

If viewed in IE7 or less, there's an overlay page which encourages the user to download a modern browser.

Also, the panorama applet doesn't work yet. I'll fix it when I'll have time (or maybe I'll just put up a link to the old site).

So I hope you'll like it.

http://grandioso.org/

I think it is quite a good idea that you are providing your website in multiple languages, especially as the international language is English (so you are getting a wide audience) and that you also have allowed for your home country to be targeted on a much more personal basis using Slovakian.

Personally, I would make your logo (Magnifique Designs) brighter.  The blue/green colour (sorry I am colour-blind so I can't really tell what it is) that you have on your menus looks brighter than the colour used on the font of the logo.  If you use the same colour it will stand out better, in my opinion.

I would also like to note that I *think* you may have used a fixed width for your footer as I have quite a wide screen, it goes about 80% across the screen and then stops... try setting the width to 100%, unless this was intentional... in which case as you have a 'border-top: 1px dashed' CSS style set, I would also add this to the 'border-right' property too (but if it was meant to span the entire width of the screen, this isn't needed.

Still on the note of the screen width, your background has a nice curly, flora design on the right hand side of the screen.  This design appears to "cut off" suddenly and just continues with the wooden design.  I am assuming this was meant to be at the right-hand side of the screen so it appears as if it is shooting in from the edge of the screen, if that is the edge of your background image, try aligning the image to the right, which may solve the issue.

The only other thing, which is purely a personal point of view for me, is I do not like the font... but like I say, that is a personal opinion.

Sorry one last, last point :).  On your Projects page, you have your slideshow.  The blue area at the bottom of the slideshow that displays the caption, on some images where they are mostly white the white text becomes a little hard to read.  If you are able to increase the opacity of that box, or maybe change the font colour, it may be better.

I hope this is somewhat useful criticism for you :)

Thanks for the critique :)

I think I set the max-width to the website to 1280px, but I just realized it doesn't make much sense. I'm removing it now.  Is it better ?

About the font... I wanted to make this site look the best possible in every browser so I decided to use a web-safe font. And as we all know, web-safe fonts all suck, so I just chose the one which I thought would fit the best :)

Maybe I'll check for a better one and use font-face.

I changed the opacity from .7 to .85. It didn't get much better though... I don't want to set it to 100% and changing colors would screw up the design, so I guess I'll leave it like this.

btw the logo IS the same color as the navigation :D

The background image and the footer now position  correctly and look good!

Your logo still looks a little dimmer to me.. but maybe that is because of the width of the font used makes it appear that way.  I understand your point about the page fonts though.

Is the opacity of the text box still .85?  It looks much better now and fonts are easier to read  (IMO).

Good job :).

I like this site. It's not great but it's pretty damn close. I like the effects you have... sometimes they work a little clunky (viewing with FF) but overall... if I came to this site as someone looking to hire a designer, your page would have caught my attention and engaged me to interact with it. Good job.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.