CSS3 and HTML5

Grandioso

Hey guys.

I'm not looking for help in this thread, I just want to start a discussion about the future of web development :).

So have you already started using CSS3 and HTML5 ? What do you think is already safe to use ?

I'm currently making a website for my girlfriend and decided not use CSS3 yet. I want it to be displayed the way it's meant to be displayed, in every browser. But on the other hand, I really don't like putting images instead of text on a website. With CSS3 I would save a lot of work cutting images, etc.

I can't wait for full border-radius and font-face browser support.

That's a useful link, but there are some minor bugs that they forgot to mention. For example border-radius doesn't work in firefox. I have to use -moz-border-radius instead.

I have a ttf font and a few rounded corners. Without these, the page would look just lame. What do you think...should I use CSS3 or the old school way ?

I've started using CSS3 selectors on sites. I make the site work and look mostly good on IE (the non-CSS3 browser) and then use CSS3 selectors to make it look better on other browsers.

I've also stopped supporting IE6 as a default, and now charge an extra fee to my clients for doing IE6 support. I'll still do it, but it costs them.

It depends on the site. On commercial sites, until now I've adjusted them to work on IE6, though I've decided to start charging extra for this in the future. If they don't want to pay the extra, I'll add an 'update your browser' link.

On my own personal portfolio, I have an 'update your browser' built into the top page for IE6 users.

I use CSS3 and im going to start using HTML5.

I think that CSS3 solves a lot of issues we had with CSS2, but one thing i havent seen is the ability to create a transparent background without the text doing the same without having to use the RGB values for the colors.

I like the support for rounded corners and drop shadows.

I have BRILLIANT trick for making a div partially transparent, and it even works in IE6 (I guess) - I use a png image with the desired opacity as background  :D

Then if I have to set some other bg for the div, I put another div with the size of the bg image and position it absolutely inside the first one.

So you're trying to tell me that if I use my transparency method I can't use CSS3 border radius ?

I'm now working on a site where I used this method and CSS3 border radius works just fine on Chrome, Opera and Firefox (I didn't try IE, nor Safari since I'm an Ubuntu user).

I'll try IE when it's all done.

I don't think HTML5 and CSS3 are ready to roll, but I do use the HTML5 doctype, which is safe. I don't think we are going to get good enough browser support to start using HTML5 and CSS3 freely for a couple of years (at least). Heck, I'm still supporting IE6 :'(

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.