Web Design Employment - UK Question

jd307

Hey all!  I would like to ask a question to all of those users who live (or work) in the UK.

How did you first start out in the web design world? 

I have recently graduated at University, so I have skills in coding for the web as well as graphics and multimedia skills.  I have been applying for jobs around London and Essex (my hometown), but after about 60-75 applications I haven't had as much as an interview yet.

Okay, most of the jobs I apply for say "you need at least 2+ years of experience" but they do not seem to call academic experience.. or my portfolio.. as experience.  I am just wondering if anyone had any advise as to how I could break into this industry without previous commercial experience?  I have posted my portfolio site on the "Website Critique" board to get comments from people, as this "could" be putting people off.. but in my opinion it isn't THAT bad.  Haha.

Any thoughts or advise would be appreciated.

Thanks all :)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.