Installing XP on a netbook

proggR

I bought a netbook a long time ago thinking I'd use it for notes. I didn't but now I'm going to be letting my girlfriend use it. I removed XP from it and put on Moblin (linux) to try it out. I like it except that the network drivers don't work and I don't have time to fix that (I know how to, I just don't have time). I'm trying to put Windows XP back on it and haven't had the best of luck. I have a .dmg and a .cdr of the disk on my Macbook and tried copying it to a flash drive via the dd command on my Mac and it copied just fine but the netbook won't boot from it. So I tried copying straight from the CD and it still wouldn't boot off of it.

Now I have an external CD drive plugged into the netbook, have the XP cd in the drive and have disabled the hard drive as a bootable drive to force it to boot from the CD. It won't read any of the XP cds I put in it. Thinking it was the external CD drive I threw a linux disk in and it booted fine.

I know these disks work because I can boot off them on my Macbook. Can anyone think of why the netbook wouldn't boot from them and what I could do to get this resolved? I'm at a loss for now. I'm heading out on lunch and I'll check back in after.

Thanks in advance.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.