Warning: mysqli_query() expects parameter 1 to be mysqli, null given

deemurphy

I decided to upgrade my site which was doing fine, but now I am getting the following: Warning: mysqli_query() expects parameter 1 to be mysqli, null given

in all my PHP files and I do not understand this error.

Thank you for any solution to this.

LadyDee

We can't help much without seeing relevant code. The problem is that when using mysqli_query() in procedural style the first parameter needs to be the mysqli link. To be more specific we'll need to see some code.

Did you inadvertently remove the database connection script from showcalendar_withevent.php, or accidentally delete it altogether? Can you post the code within

. . . 

tags?

Warning: mysqli_error() expects parameter 1 to be mysqli, null given in /home/a3151982/public_html/showcalendar_withevent.php on line 203

Did you edit this to post it here, or did you edit it to use during development? I wouldn't expect to see the root user being the account used for DB access on a hosted site. Also, usually (but not always) the database server isn't at localhost.

$mysqli = mysqli_connect("localhost", "root", "ladydee", "ladydee");

You should edit that file and remove your connection details immediately.

Your problem is that $mysqli is never set, you're also mixing mysql and mysqli functions, you can't do that.

The mysql and mysqli extensions use a somewhat different syntax, but it looks like the script was written with the mysql extension originally, then an attempt was made to modify it. If that's the case, you should be able to change the mysqli's back to mysql. If that doesn't work, I'm sure someone here can help out.

The second parameter in a mysql_query() function call is an optional mysql link resource. Your's is not one.

You would need to troubleshoot why the second parameter you are supplying is not a mysql link resource and make it the one that your mysql_connect() created.

No one can really help you with what is specifically wrong with your code without seeing the code that produces the error. I told you what the error means, if you don't understand what the parameters are in a function call or where or if they are getting set to the correct values, you will need to post your code.

That code isn't even using mysql_query() so it cannot be the code you were using that produced the error you posted in Reply #14. In fact, it is probably the original code you stared with and it produces the error message in the title of this thread.

When your problem is a moving target of randomly changing code and errors that don't even match the code you provide, no one really wants to try to chase down what you are changing in it.

You have had both the mysqli and mysql errors explained and been told that you cannot mix mysql and mysqli functions in one script. You must pick one way or the other and all the database related code on any page must use the same type.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.