Regex a password

soycharliente

Many months ago, I was asking a question about doing regex on a password. Someone posted some code that I do not understand at all. The original problem I was trying to solve was using regex to check for some password requirements. Now, for a different site, I'm making the requirements a bit more technical, and I feel like one of the solutions offered the first time might help me, but I would really like to actually understand it instead of just using it. Plus, I think it needs to be tweaked for the more strenuous requirements this time around.

The requirements that I have this time are:

Must be between 6 and 16 characters in length.

Must start with a letter.

Must contain at least one character from 3 of the 4 classes:

‣ Upper case alphabetic: A-Z

‣ Lower case alphabetic: a-z

‣ Numeric: 0-9

‣ Special: ! @ # $ % ^ & * ( ) + = . _ -

Here are the two functions that someone gave the first go round:

function pwCheck($password)
{
  $validChars = "/^(?=.*[a-z])(?=.*[A-Z])(?=.*[0-9!@#$%^&*()_.-])[A-Za-z0-9!@#$%^&*()_.-]{6,16}$/";
  return (preg_match($validChars, $password));
}

function pwCheck($password)
{
  $validChars = "/^[A-Za-z0-9!@#$%^&*()_.-]{6,16}$/";
  $classCheck = '/(?=.*[a-z])(?=.*[A-Z])(?=.*[0-9!@#$%^&*()_.-])/';
  return (preg_match($validChars, $password) && preg_match($classCheck, $password));
}

I understand the second function more. This is what I've got so far on my own, but I don't know how to make it satisfy the 3 out of 4 check.

function isPassword($password)
{
$return = FALSE;
$characters = "/^[A-Za-z0-9!@#$%^&*()+=._-]{6,16}$/";
$classes = '/(?=.*[A-Z])(?=.*[a-z])(?=.*[0-9])(?=.*[!@#$%^&*()+=._-])/';
if (preg_match($characters, $password) && preg_match($classes, $password)) { $return = TRUE; }
return $return;
}

Any help? Thanks.

After trying to make it work, I started going a different direction I guess. I started writing this:

$regex = '/^([A-Za-z]+[([A-Za-z]*)0-9]+[([A-Za-z]*)._-]+){6,16}$/';

But I'm getting a PHP error for unmatched parenthesis at offset 39.

I don't know why. Any ideas?

I doubt your error has anything to do with that line since all your parens are within a string. The error is most likely somewhere above that line.

As to your particular requirement I don't think it is possible to do it with a single regex expression due to your last requirement to require 3 out of four different "classes" of characters. You can validate that all classes are present, but I can't think of a way to validate that at least 3 out of the 4 are present. Well, not without creating an exceptionally long expression. I would suggest just using RegEx to validate that ALL the characters are withint he acceptable classes and do the other validations with non regex.

Sounds like I need to talk to the people I'm working with. Maybe combing uppercase and lowercase and checking for all classes would be better. Then I could use this?

function isPassword($password)
{
$return = FALSE;
$characters = "/^[A-Za-z0-9!@#$%^&*()+=._-]{6,16}$/";
$classes = '/(?=.*[A-Za-z])(?=.*[0-9])(?=.*[!@#$%^&*()+=._-])/';
if (preg_match($characters, $password) && preg_match($classes, $password)) { $return = TRUE; }
return $return;
}

For the error, when I commented out that regex and just put a regular echo statement, everything was fine. I don't know why it threw an error, but I do believe it was the regex line.

This should meet your needs. I did some testing, but suggest you do some as well to ensure it meets your needs.

function isValidPassword($password)
{
    //Validate that 1st char is alpha, ALL characters are valid and length is correct
    if(preg_match("/^[A-Z][A-Z0-9\!\@\#\$\%\^\&\*\(\)\+\=\.\_\-]{5,15}$/i", $password)===0)
    {
        return false;
    }
    //Validate that password has at least 3 of 4 classes
    $classes = 0;
    $classes += preg_match("/[A-Z]/", $password);
    $classes += preg_match("/[a-z]/", $password);
    $classes += preg_match("/[0-9]/", $password);
    $classes += preg_match("/[!@#$%^&*()+=._-]/", $password);
    return ($classes >= 3);
}

Note the RegEx uses {5, 15} for the length because it doesn't include the first character that has different requirements than the rest.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.