Landing that first programming job

php44095

I live in California and have been applying for various programming jobs for about a month.  I've gotten 2 interviews over the past month but no job offers.  I'll really take anything, even something like a junior web design that may not pay much just to get a career in programming going.

My question is - is my background strong enough?  I never finished my math degree.  I took several computer programming classes in college though where I learned a lot of c / c++ programming and the UNIX shell.  Since I left school, I've done freelance projects and taught myself.  For example, on my resume I put down that I was lead programmer and web designer for a PhD.  He had this mathematical model of the stock market and I approached him with a project to turn it into a javascript / CSS / HTML web app plus a Windows app.  I set it all up for him and his clients and maintained it for 2-3 years and his clients loved my work.  So I put that work on my resume.  With my background, I'm quick to pick up other languages like PHP, Python, SQL, etc.  I just don't have the work experience, I've just done some coding in those languages on the side and everything runs fine.

Do I need to show more than this to get in the door?  I have gotten a couple interviews.  Should I just be patient and keep trying or should I go back to school and try to finish that math degree?  I really don't know how I stack up.  Maybe if the economy was better I would have gotten something by now.  What do you think?

First, with the economy in the toilet, you're going to face a lot of competition.  Experience will be a key factor, and you don't have much.  There are people with years of experience having trouble finding stable employment.  It sucks, but that's the reality of the situation.

Second, one project is not a portfolio.  You said you completed the project 2-3 years ago and maintained it.  What did this maintenance consist of?  How much upgrading did you do?  2-3 years can be a long time, especially where JavaScript is concerned.

Your best bet, IMO, is to take some freelance work.  It'll allow you to build your portfolio, hone your skills, and develop some word-of-mouth leads.  Also, get involved with your fellow geeks.  Go to your local BarCamp and geek lunches and whatnot.  More than ever, success in this line of work is based on who you know.

Of course, this is from a web developer's slant.  I don't know how social desktop app people are, but in my area of the world webheads love to get together, have drinks, and talk shop.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.