Exporting a MS SQL database

krystof78

Hi all,

I have no experience in MS SQL databases and I would like to know how difficult it is to export a MS SQL database.

I am asking that because I've asked the company that is managing my company's website to export the data of our online clients details (first name, last name, address, emails...) and their orders (order nb, products description, product ordered...), as it is not possible to get it from their CMS, and they've quoted me 6 to 8 hours to do so.

I am used to manage MySQL databases, and it never took me that long to extract data from my databases. So I was wondering if it was so much different that it really requires much more time, or if this company is trying to push its luck by charging a lot.

Thanks in advance for your answers. If you need any details, do not hesitate to let me know.

Cheers,

Krys

How large is the database?

I used to manage a decent sized database on MSSQL (about 100k users each with 1000 or so random entries in stuff) that would take about 15 seconds to export to a file.

Did you request a certain format of the data?  Because formatting the data can be a pain, but if you just want the equivalent of a mysqldump, that should definitely not take 8 hours unless it's just a huge database.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.