Problem with "like" in sql query

TheEddy

Post an example of the search term you used and the data in the database that you feel it should have returned.

$searchField would have been "emailAddress" and $search should have been "webmaster" and should have pulled:

webmaster@test.com and webmaster@testing.com

That looks like it would work as written. Have you echoed the query string to make sure it contains the values it should contain?

This is what I have for results:

$sql = "SELECT * FROM `users` WHERE `$searchField` LIKE '%$search%'";
$result = mysql_query($sql) or die(mysql_error());
$row = mysql_fetch_array($result);
$userName = $row['userName'];
$uid = $row['userID'];

if (mysql_num_rows($result) == 1) {
  print ("
  <ul>
  ");
    while ($row = mysql_num_rows($result)){
      print ("
  <li><a href=\"memberprofiles.php?uid=$uid\" title\"$userName\">$userName</a></li>
  ");
exit;
    }
  print ("
  </ul>
  ");
  }
  else {
    print ("
There were no results based on your criteria.
");
}

This is your problem: if (mysql_num_rows($result) == 1) {. If more than one result is returned, it lists none of them and echos the "no results" message. If you expect exactly one record to match, you should not be using a WHERE . . . LIKE query. If you expect zero or more records to match, you shouldn't be restricting the result set to one record, and you should echo the results in a while() loop.

if (mysql_num_rows($result) != 0) {
  print ("
  <ul>
  ");
    while ($row = mysql_fetch_assoc($result)){
  print ("
  <li><a href=\"memberprofiles.php?uid=$uid\" title\"$userName\">$userName</a></li>
  ");
exit;
}
  print ("
  </ul>
  ");
  }
  else {
    print ("
There were no results based on your criteria.
");
}

I don't know how I made that mistake where I had that equal to 1.  But I don't know how to loop the results :(

mysql_fetch_assoc stores the values in an array. So you could either use the list function like:

while(list($uid,$userName) = mysql_fetch_assoc($result)){

Or when you print the HTML you would do something like

echo "<li><a href=\"membersprofiles.php?uid=".$row['uid']."\" title=\"".$row['userName']."\">".$row['userName']."</a></li>\n";

mysql_fetch_assoc stores the values in an array. So you could either use the list function like:

while(list($uid,$userName) = mysql_fetch_assoc($result)){

Or when you print the HTML you would do something like

echo "<li><a href=\"membersprofiles.php?uid=".$row['uid']."\" title=\"".$row['userName']."\">".$row['userName']."</a></li>\n";

That doesn't work btw.

What are you getting for your output?

Nothing will appear unless I search for email and only one result when there should be two.  If I search for email, I don't get the message that there is nothing there but no results are shown.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.