Multiple queries

tomhoad

I am not too experienced with MySQL and I've read a few tutorials on JOIN and UNION but can't get my head around it to be honest - can someone help me out please? I'm fairly sure I need to combine these queries to get my desired result...

I have 2 tables, one called promo and another called items. What I want is...

This is a Promotional [title]

I am the promotional description for this promo! [description]

Items in this promotional are:

- Item 1

- Item 2

- Item 3

Code so far:

$result  = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM promo WHERE id = '$promo_id'") or die('Error : ' . mysql_error());
while($row = mysql_fetch_array($result))
{
echo "<p>".$row['title']."</p>";
echo "<p>".$row['description']."</p>";
}

$result  = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM item WHERE promo_id = '$promo_id'") or die('Error : ' . mysql_error());
{
echo "<p>".$row['filename']."</p>";
}

Using MySQL 5. Thanks for your help  :D

I think the mySQL you are looking for is something like...

SELECT * FROM promo JOIN item ON promo.id = item.promo_id WHERE promo.id='$promo_id'

The important part is ON promo.id = item.promo_id. This tells mysql to take your item table and merge the items together with their promotions, but only where the promo_id field matches an id of a promotion on the promo table.

Thanks for that. I have made some progress but I am still struggling slightly. Believe me I've worked on this for a few hours now and can't crack it!!! Maybe I'm just too simple!

My php now looks like so:

$result  = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM promo JOIN items ON promo.id = items.promo_id WHERE promo.id='$promo_id'") or die('Error : ' . mysql_error()); 
	{
	echo "<p>".$row['promo.title']."</p>";
	echo "<p>".$row['description']."</p>";
	echo "<p>".$row['filename']."</p>";
	}

The outcome is:

Description test 1

filename.jpg

Description test 1

filename_2.jpg

I don't seem to be able to access the Promo Title at all ?

Also it's repeating and I can sort of see why from the PHP - what do you recommend to just get my desired outcome (OP).

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.