CPU Usage & Flash

JonnoTheDev

This seems to be a common issue from searching the web with no clear solution. Since recent adobe flash updates became available (I think it is 10.1), whenever I view flash video from the likes of BBC iPlayer, Seesaw (UK equiv of Hulu), Youtube, etc, after a short period of playback time, say 5 - 10 minutes the CPU usage maxes out at 100% and the playback becomes very choppy and unwatchable, also slowing this web browser down to a halt.

This is not browser specific and is only a recent thing. Done all the general stuff such as re-installing flash, shockwave, etc. Installed PC cleaning software to clean the registry, get rid of junk files, fix bugs which did a good job actually, but no joy with video.

Anyone else seen this? I'm guessing its adobe releasing buggy versions with a massive memory leak.

I haven't experienced this myself. Adobe Flash 10.1 actually introduced some features that was suppose to reduce memory and CPU usage. They did things like throttle the frame rate to 2 FPS and timers to 2 seconds while the flash app is in a hidden tab. This actually did a great job reducing CPU and memory usage, but there was no way to disable it making it completely backwards incompatible. Adobe screwing over developers... again.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.