Need help with this query and DATEDIFF function

ViperSBT

SELECT s.dog, COUNT(s.dog) AS entries, t.date
FROM singles s
INNER JOIN tournament t ON t.enumber = s.event
GROUP BY s.dog
HAVING DATEDIFF( MAX( date ) , MIN( t.date ) ) >4
ORDER BY entries DESC

OK this query give me a count of all the times a dog has entered an event.  What I am trying to do is identify the number of times a dog has entered events that were more than 4 days apart from each other.

What am I missing? 

I guess that is part of the problem.  As for the math, I am not sure what you are meaning.  The logic is the tricky part.  As I understand it the DATEDIFF is currently making sure that a dog has entered at least two events with a difference in dates greater than four days, and if that case is true, then the query is counting all of the dog's entries...

I guess in writing this it has cleared my head of what the logic needs to be...

I need it to count all entries that have a date within 4 days of each other as one entry.  Does that make sense?

DOG

DATE

8/20/2010

8/21/2010

8/13/2010

8/14/2010

8/7/2010

8/8/2010

8/1/2010

8/2/2010

8/20/2010

8/13/2010

8/14/2010

8/7/1010

8/1/2010

8/20/2010

8/13/2010

8/14/2010

8/8/2010

With the above data the results I am currently getting are:

DOG 1 = 8, DOG 2 = 5, DOG 3 = 4

The desired results would be:

DOG 1 = 4, DOG 2 = 4, DOG 3 = 3

I hope that helps clarify what I am trying to do better.

dog 	entries Descending 	date 	DATEDIFF( MAX( date ) , MIN( t.date ) )
1489 	45 	2006-11-12 	1267
709 	25 	2006-09-16 	1247
1155 	24 	2005-09-24 	946
2941 	22 	2007-03-16 	847
1918 	21 	2006-05-27 	1492
1346 	19 	2007-12-01 	938

This is what it kicked out...  The values in entries are still showing based on all of the dog's entries...

Oh, now I understand what you want.

At first glance, you may have to use user-variables to handle this -- which means sorting the result set by ( dog, date ) -- and simply checking the difference for a given dog for each row.  I'm just heading out, so I don't have time to draft the query, but basically, you reset the prev date if the dog is different, otherwise, check the prev vs current date, and mark accordingly.

Yes, you are on it now...  I can comprehend what you are saying needs to happen, but I have no idea how to make that happen.  I thank you very much for your assistance and look forward to any guidance you, or anyone else for that matter, can give me.

Yes, you are on it now...  I can comprehend what you are saying needs to happen, but I have no idea how to make that happen.  I thank you very much for your assistance and look forward to any guidance you, or anyone else for that matter, can give me.

Likely won't have an opportunity for a few days....

• 2 weeks later...

OK, sorry it took so long.

Now that I've played with it a bit, I don't think you need user variables -- I was thinking of rankings, and that's not actually what you want.

Basically, if you join all the dog/dates to themselves, any time you get a condition where the dates differ by 4 days for a given dog, you want that dog back.  If that's the case, this should work:

select distinct t1.dog from
(
SELECT s.dog,t.date
FROM singles s
) t1
inner join
(
SELECT s.dog,t.date
FROM singles s
) t2 on ( t1.dog = t2.dog )
where t1.date > t2.date and DATEDIFF( t1.date, t2.date ) > 4
order by t1.dog, t1.date

The date comparison in the where clause is simply to ensure the temporal order of the two dates, so that the DATEDIFF() will never be negative; and it neatly cuts down the number of rows to examine.

Does that make sense?

Actually, you probably don't need derived tables -- try this (untested):

SELECT DISTINCT s.dog
FROM singles s
INNER JOIN tournament t1 ON t1.enumber = s.event
INNER JOIN tournament t2 ON t2.enumber = s.event
where t1.date > t2.date and DATEDIFF( t1.date, t2.date ) > 4

• 2 weeks later...

The second (untested) query didn't returned an empty result...

The first however returned what I believe to be a list of all dogs that have competed in at least two tournaments that had dates greater then 4 days apart.  Which is a step in the right direction, but I need to be able to count the number of times that each individual dog entered a tournament that wasn't within 4 days of another tournament.  Does that make sense?  Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you, just been crazy....

The second (untested) query didn't returned an empty result...

Not surprised, I typed it from somewhere other than my dev machine -- I'll take another look.

The first however returned what I believe to be a list of all dogs that have competed in at least two tournaments that had dates greater then 4 days apart.  Which is a step in the right direction, but I need to be able to count the number of times that each individual dog entered a tournament that wasn't within 4 days of another tournament.  Does that make sense? 

I don't think you've ever mentioned that before...

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.