CSV to MYSQL query plus variables?

gorgon2k

Ok so I have this script which will take a propery formated .csv file and upload to my database. here's the part i need to know if it's possible. basically it puts a group of codes into the database but i need a field that will specify which user the code pertains to from another table. The most logical way to reference the user is with an id code; but short of having the user reference an id code to put in the csv file, is there anyway I can make a query that will INSERT INTO and upload the csv? here's my current code...

<?php

$tmpName = $_FILES['song_codes']['tmp_name'];

include('database.php');

if($sc != ""){

mysql_query('LOAD DATA LOCAL INFILE \''.$tmpName.'\' INTO TABLE music_codes FIELDS ENCLOSED BY "\"" TERMINATED BY "," LINES TERMINATED BY "\n" ;') or die('Error loading data file.<br>' . mysql_error()); 

Is the issue that you don't want the users to have to bother adding a user ID to the CSV file which would be put into the database?  Or do you simply NOT want a user ID to be in the CSV file altogether?

If it's the former, then you could use the filesystem functions to open the CSV file and append a user ID to each line before your LOAD DATA statement.

More on Filesystem Functions from php.net

if you have a clear way to determine the user_id that you need to add in each line of your CSV file you can use the SET clause in the LOAD INFILE sentence to populate the field either as a calculated value or obtaining it with an scalar subquery... read the mysql manual for LOAD INFILE clause... specifically the part of the SET clause.

hope this help

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.