Does anyone silently protest use of PHP namespaces due to the fugly separator?

jayarsee

It seems that a few PHP Gods In The Sky had a quick IRC discussion and now a major feature of the language is decided forever:

http://wiki.php.net/_media/rfc/php.ns.txt?id=rfc%3Anamespaceseparator

Since this decision was made a while back there has been a lot of back and forth about why . or :: would not work as well as \, and although I've still never seen an OO extraordinaire loose a debate while defending the lack of ambiguity offered by ::, that tired discussion is not what I intend to rehash here.

Rather, I have found that defended well or not, \ is such a distracting character to litter my code with that I have simply worked around the need for namespaces as I always had prior to their availability. Moreover, I intend to pout about this decision for as long as I can. In a way I feel like I asked my parents for a car for 3 years and when I finally got one it was a Pinto.

Has anyone else found themselves in a similar position, or perhaps did at one point and since abandoned it and are glad they did?

Personally, I don't really see a point in discussing about it. It's a normal character, like any other, and the plus is that it does not introduce any ambiguity. This is why they could not use :: or .

I started using PHP namespaces a couple of months ago and I even liked it. It's a normal character, like any other.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.