Content Going Outside Div

Rycast

Hi everyone. I need help with a design that I'm working on. Unfortunately the script for the site wasn't originally written by me (neither was the original design, which I'm just editing to look different), and the code is pretty sloppy.

Take a look at this page and its source:

http://iauctionsites.com/auction/2-test2.html

If you're using a newer browser, you'll probably notice that the content of the auction goes outside of the white "main content" area, which is left as a thin white line near the top of the page (the footer is also destroyed). Why? I checked my divs and stylesheet, and I can't figure it out. The content should stay in the main content area, just like it does on the main page of the site (www.iauctionsites.com). It looks messed up like this in IE8 and Chrome (probably in Firefox too, but I haven't checked yet). Strangely enough, when I used an older version of IE (7 I think), the content was inside the white area like it should be.

Although, the main page actually has a problem of its own - you'll notice that there's a black blank between the login bar and the rest of the content in the "main content" area. It should just be solid white. I can't figure this one out either.

Here's the stylesheet for you to look at as well:

http://iauctionsites.com/css/stylesheet.css

Any help is appreciated! Thanks a lot,

- Ryan

When you create a floating element you take it out of the document flow and position it either to the far left or far right of its containing element.

What you need to do is create another element beneath both of these content divs and clear the floats.

Since they're both floated left, you can just use a line break and set an inline style on it.

<br style="clear: left" />

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.