AJAX Form Submit

CONFUSIONUK

I'm just wondering if someone could give me a hand with some validation on a form I have set up for a shoutbox.

Below is the script I have made up to check on the click of "#shout_submit" and post the data through another script on the site, what I'm after is if someone could give me an example or some pointers as to how I can maybe use the else if statements as in php to firstly check the form has been filled out, if not display a warning using the alert feature in java prompting to input the name and message or if successful just carry on and process the code below.

I have tried a few things but they didn't work and also kept refreshing the page on submit, any help would be highly appreciated!  :-*

$(function() {
    $("#shout_submit").click(function() {		
        $.ajax({
            type: "POST",
            url: "get.php?shout",
            data: $("#shoutbox_form").serialize(),
            success: function(){
            $('#shouts').load('get.php?shouts=5');
            $('#shoutbox_form')[0].reset();
        }
    });
    return false;
});
});

I hope this is what your looking for. its a small script that checks if the submit button with the name of submit is pressed, and if a certain value or condition is met. I dont know anything about ajax yet, but for php this works.

<?php
$x = 1; // assign a value to variable x

if (isset($_POST['submit'])){
    if ($x==$_POST['your_post_value_here']){  
        echo 'you pressed submit '; // or code or form to be executed
    }else{ //if submit wasn't pressed
         echo 'you didn\'t press submit';
  }
}
?>

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.