Differences in method writing

dennismonsewicz

Can someone explain the difference between the following?

function a(array $var) { }

function a($var = array()) { }

function a(Array $var) { }

I have seen these recently in a script I am modifying, but not 100% sure as to what each one does. Well I know what the middle one does, but am a little confused on the 1st and 3rd one.

Thanks!

Dennis

array and Array are the same, it's case insensitive.  So 1 and 3 are the same.

This says that a() MUST take an array, and it's an error if you give it something else.

"Catchable fatal error: Argument 1 passed to a() must be an array, string given"

This says that a() MUST take an array, and it's an error if you give it something else.

"Catchable fatal error: Argument 1 passed to a() must be an array, string given"

Ah that makes sense! So my 2nd example is stating the $var could be an array, right?

Ah that makes sense! So my 2nd example is stating the $var could be an array, right?

The second example says that if no argument is passed to the method, $var will be an empty array by default.  Otherwise, it will be whatever you passed to the method.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.