Having a retarded moment

Phpfr3ak

Hi any clues as to why this doesn't work, probably real simple having a slow day.

<?php
$ReportType = mysql_real_escape_string($_GET['ReportType']);
$sql = "SELECT id, username, score, class, Banned FROM users WHERE is_active = 1 ORDER BY $ReportType DESC LIMIT 25";
$query = mysql_query($sql) or die(mysql_error());
$i=0;
while($users = mysql_fetch_array($query))
{
    $i++;
    ?>

You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'DESC LIMIT 25' at line 1

If i sort by score it works... and shows the top 50 players, thats the section i changed. I'm wanting to vary it by $ReportType

<?php
$ReportType = mysql_real_escape_string($_GET['ReportType']);
echo $sql = "SELECT `id`, `username`, `score`, `class`, `Banned` FROM `users` WHERE `is_active` = 1 ORDER BY `".$ReportType."` DESC LIMIT 25";
$query = mysql_query($sql, $connectionHandle) or die(mysql_error());//if already reference, leave as it was
$i=0;
{
    $i++;
    //Hopefully your breaking out of php here to do direct html...
    ?>

You really need to echo the sql string to screen to see how it's populated too, run that, see what happens...

Rw

Sorry it actually does work upon closer inspection... well ranks the players as ordered in each area. The only issue i have now is with the whole

<?php echo $users['score']  ?>

area as how would i make it echo the $ReportType, instead of score the $reporttype is already defined.

Sorry its rather difficult for me to explain.

I'll try the best i can;

cash_Stole

currently

<?php
$sql = "SELECT id, username, score, class, Banned FROM users WHERE is_active = 1 ORDER BY $ReportType DESC LIMIT 25";
$query = mysql_query($sql) or die(mysql_error());
$i=0;
{
    $i++;
    ?>

successfully ranks the players in the database in order of who has most of what.

e.g http://urlhere.com//top.php?ReportType=cash_Stolen

This will currently who has the highest cash_stolen colum in the database.

Id like to then echo what the actual number is... if this makes sense but the report types vary, yet are defined e.g

e.g http://urlhere.com//top.php?ReportType=cash_Stolen

orders by most cash stolen

e.g http://urlhere.com//top.php?ReportType=score

orders by score

This currently works with the actual ranking in the php code i showed above.

but id like to change <?php echo $users['score'];  ?> to something that would echo the actual users information from the database for that area using $ReportType.

If this makes sense to you.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.