I need HELP ! im stressed out my forum gave me a msg 404

priscilla80

Ok hi all,.

Im sorry I bump in without introducing,. but im having a mature problem

I have a dog forum: http://www.lepetitchien.net/forum

Its up and running for about 3 mnths and goes really well.. very active etc.

But when i tried to install a new chat feature on my ftp n a new folder.

And that didnt work out after i changed the chmod of that folder.. my forum and my portal that is in a different folder s gone. Its all on my server but i do get the essage 404 not found.

Please im havng a festival i need to attend. and my partner in USa does not have a clue aout the technial issues.  If you need ftp info and can help me out, please do.

Im just stressing out here!

Thanks Priscilla

Ok here i go:

I have a forum on my ftp with a portal page.

I wanted to instal a free phpbb chat on the site. (not on he forum or portal page) but in my main site: in my public_html i uploaded a folder call cha and uploaded the content that was in the zipfolder i dwnloaded.

Then in the install instructions it said chmod it to 777. I did that and when i wanted to reply to a forum post in the mean while. i got that error.

So i got scared.. and deleted the whole chat folder.

My forum is in another folder.

and there is also my portal page.

So since i deleted the chat folder its still same error message.

hope you understand,. and thanks for your help ! :D

The page you have linked to gives a 500 error, which is a misconfigred server. The additional 404 is because your 'nice' error page is also missing.

You need to explain exactly what it is you did.

you want to look in it yourself?

I can email you my ftp login.

The steps you have described couldn't possibly cause the error, if that is indeed what you have done.

What are the permissions (including owner / group) on the files & directories within your public_html directory now?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.