PHP application vs applications framework

csckid

What can we do with PHP application?

PHP is a serverside language that is mostly used to develope websites.  It powers in part or in whole, many of the biggest and best known websites in the world.

Which one has higher salary job?

Higher salary than what?

I'm learning CakePhp now. Does this type of applications framework is worth learning?

CakePHP is used by many websites.  Learning it certainly wouldn't hurt, but if you were asking for my recommendation of what to learn first, I'd suggest learning Zend Framework over CakePHP at this point.

What can we do with PHP application?

PHP is a serverside language that is mostly used to develope websites.  It powers in part or in whole, many of the biggest and best known websites in the world.

Which one has higher salary job?

Higher salary than what?

I'm learning CakePhp now. Does this type of applications framework is worth learning?

CakePHP is used by many websites.  Learning it certainly wouldn't hurt, but if you were asking for my recommendation of what to learn first, I'd suggest learning Zend Framework over CakePHP at this point.

I should have consulted with you first before learning cake. I guess cake and zend are quite similar.

I wanted to know, what does PHP application like joomla do. Which is better to know if I have to study only one joomla or zend?

Joomla and Zend are completely different. Zend is a PHP framework, meaning you still write applications in PHP but using the framework. Joomla is basically a CMS (content management system) used to administrate websites, where there's little - if any - PHP knowledge required. They're aimed at completely different end-users.

CakePHP and Zend are both frameworks, but fundamentally different.

Joomla and Zend are completely different. Zend is a PHP framework, meaning you still write applications in PHP but using the framework. Joomla is basically a CMS (content management system) used to administrate websites, where there's little - if any - PHP knowledge required. They're aimed at completely different end-users.

CakePHP and Zend are both frameworks, but fundamentally different.

I agree completely. 

As to which to study it depends on what you plan to do with them.  Joomla has it's own eco-system of developers, who code components for it that add to its abilities, or create templates.  The template market in particular is robust enough that there are many companies who focus on selling templates.    With that said, it is possible to create a Joomla website entirely via configuration and the installation of certain components.  It's similar to Drupal and wordpress in that way.  So while you can certainly benefit from learning how it works, and being able to develope templates, components and modules, it's also possible to do a lot of stuff without writing code.  Furthermore, as is the case with any decent CMS, there's a whole built in content publishing system that can be turned over to a customer, so that they can update their website.  Joomla is a great solution for small to midsize businesses, and it can be enhanced with 3rd party plugins that add ecommerce, membership and lots of other applications.  If you forsee yourself building those types of websites, Joomla would be a good direction for you to investigate.

If your interest is in building websites or php applications from the ground up, then a pure framework like Zend Framework makes sense.

• 4 weeks later...

Which CMS do you is better to study?

Does the CMS and Zend have free template?

"Better" would only represent an opinion.  The most popular, and hence the ones with the largest market are Joomla, Drupal and Wordpress.  Wordpress is a "blog" but the distinction between blog and cms is not that large. 

The CMS's all have free templates.  There are also large markets from relatively inexpensive templates with a lot of nice features, and complete administration consoles.

Zend framework isn't a CMS so it doesn't come with templates.  FWIW, the main phpfreaks page, as well as the flingbits.com website were both built using the Zend Framework and the templates are clean and easy to understand.  However, people often will substitute alternative template engines like Smarty.  This is easy to do with a framework, whereas with a CMS you typically have to use what they provide and doing an sort of substitution is not very feasible.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.