Help with the third year project

xxreenaxx1

So I have decided to do research as my project and gain something from this. But also I will have to include programming which i prefer PHP. and will be testing these for my research. Does this sound like a good project and also If it is good sound.. Where do I start?...  need a starting point and then I could go on to doing it..

Well give us an idea of what your trying to achieve (the type of project), that's the best way that people on here can read your idea, and then from that suggest ways of accomplishing it, I have a similar problem at the moment, so I am white boarding the project, then from that I can create a framework of things I need to have ready to integrate. Fortunately Intranet is easier to deal with than internet!!

Rw

Oh I see.

Well at the end of project I would want to create a website with all the information that I have gathered from my research. My research is based on computer security with is implied to user interface design. For this I would have to create mini project eg: log in page. To check the security issues and to back up my argument.

Create a script (from the basics) to have a website that has a form (username & password & perhaps a form of CAPTCHA) then have that linked to a 'protected' page, then just write the software to do all the processing, then just make it secure..

Google php login script and have a research from the results given.

That will more than cover your requirements, and it's a good learning curve too!

Rw - PS: I didn't mean to confuse you at all, I just forgot as your just starting out ;-p

I have done the login page before and worked my way around it. But what I need to know right now is, now that I have the basic bits where do I start? How do I start with the project? Got the login page, but thats just one bit off the shelf. Still got computer security research to do. I think what I should do is, research on computer security issues and apply them in real life and show how this work. Right

But is this going to get me a good mark for my project or NOT

Am I confusing you :S

Confucius he say no ;p

I understand, but I haven't got the time to commit to providing you with a concise answer.  Ok you have a login script; does it work?  If you want to research, I would do that on the subject of captcha, as to whether it is worth the effort, or whether a properly coded site can (try to) stop bots using forms, dont forget that forms can be circumvented.. Command line...

Research sql injection attacks and see the methods used to prevent them, read up on the benefits and pitfalls of using javascript (client side) to do form validation instead of letting php take the strain (not wanting to spark off purists debate there, I ALWAYS use php to validate :) )

And study regex patterns for use in preg_ functions, I cannot tell you how MUCH I regret not learning the syntax when I started out, I'm learning it in retrospect now, but I am getting there.

There are a myriad of things as you can research and document.

Once you have a handle of what a decent login form interface should look like and do, try to code it; it's not as difficult as it sounds once you nail the basics..

Rw

Yes it does work. It like a website that I had to do for my second year and you can leave comments and all that stuff. So I am kind of set with the basic PHP and sql.

Yes when I did the project for second year I did do sql injection, so I kind of know few things about it.

Will study that.

Thats true, yep Got it. Thanks for your time. Think I got it there. Sorry to take up all your time. Once again Thanks :D..

Now u can go and have your drink :P

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.