using one class method inside another class... Not sure on this way I have...

rwwd

Hi people!

class FirstOne{

public function FunctionOne($FirstInput){
//do stuff and output value
return $value1;
}

}

Then:-

class SecondOne{

public function FunctionTwo($AnotherInput){
return $value2;
}

}

What I want to know is this, if I want to use FunctionOne() in Class SecondOne do I do it like this:-

(Assume as I have instantiated the first class using $Test = new FirstOne(); )

class SecondOne{

function SecondedFunction(){
global $Test;
return $Test->FunctionOne();
}

public function FunctionTwo($AnotherInput){
return $value2;
}

public function FunctionThree(){

//some code here
$this->Test->SecondedFunction();<--I think as I can omit the $this-> reference
}
}

My point is: Do I have to do it this way or is there way of having this done through __construct() that would negate the need for a third party function?

I have a version working, I just think that it is a little convoluted in the way as I have done it, so I thought I would ask you guys.

Any help/advice is appreciated.

Cheers

Rw

This is considered hacking!? I have a method in one class that I simply want to make available in other classes

You used a global to pass an object while you should use the constructor or a setMethod() (just don't over-use the latter)

class A {
    function sayHello($b) {
        echo 'Hello, ', get_class($b), '. How are you doing today?';
    }
}

class B {
    function __construct(A $a) {
        $this->a = $a;
    }

function greetings() {
        $this->a->sayHello($b);
        $this->sayHello($this->a);
    }

function sayHello($a) {
        echo 'Fine, thanks for asking. And how are you doing on this sunny day ', get_class($a), '?';
    }
}

$a = new A();
$b = new B($a);
$b->greetings();

You could also pass $a on greetings() making it Lazy-Loaded ;)

Hi there Ignance,

Well, thanks for the tips there; this really just tells me that I really need to spend more time understanding the working intricacies of classes before I actually try to 'improve' something that I did a while ago.

I shall *try* to implement your advice as what you have written is JUST what I was after, and it's amazing how close I actually got to how you have done the example.

I know about using __construct() as I find it invaluable as a way of importing settings and control arrays (without the need of 'global') and config files that are needed during the application running.

WRT: setMethod() this is a new one on me, I shall have to consult the manual to see what that is all about, I am however, intrigued as to why you say don't over use.. I guess I shall have to find out!

Thanks.

Rw

Archived