designer

csckid

I have no idea what ctp files are, though you are talking about syntax highlighting. Just have a Google for snytax highlighting support for your particular file extension - you may need to use a different editor (Notepad++, Komodo Edit etc)

With regards to design, listen to thorpe. I can't stress enough how much a good designer is required. I can't use PhotoShop or Illustrator to save my life, I'm a developer through and through, and if you can find a strong designer to work with you - your product will definitely up-sell. Also utilise someone elses skill to strengthen your products in areas that they are experienced in and you are not.

You need to teach yourself CSS and start using Notepad. It's not that hard once you remember everything. Design is more of a memory game then anything else. So if your good at memory games or math then coding and design is a good idea for you. I personally suck at math so my coding skills lack majorly and I am trying to improve it on a daily basis. I thought CSS was harder the PHP code then I realized I could read it after I taught myself HTML. Experienced designers do not use Dreamweaver or Adobe. They code by hand and by knowledge. Software tools for web design are for beginners who do not know how to design anything. I'm sure an experienced designed can create some pretty wonderful websites with web design software. But there really is no need for deigners to use design software for anything other then reference. I only use Windows Expression for reference and to clean and format HTML. Everything I know, I taught myself from reading forums and just playing with examples of code.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.