whats best home server to run...

shane85

hey guys. sorry if this is posted in the wrong section.

I am gonna attempt to start a project and wondering what the best web server is I should run on my pc. I have used ones in the past I liked and were good but to be honest its probably been 5 years+ and I dont remember the name of it. Also, I am looking to create a db, so how can I run phpmyadmin on this so I can make my databases??

Thanks

thanks guys....

XAMPP was the one I used before now I remember. Ive tried it twice...the first time I had problems installing it, then 2nd time no problem.

Now im having trbles installing it again. I did, but when I try to load mysql and it loads a web browser I get "internet explorer cannot display the web page"

I cant get it installed properly...I think last time I had to modify the php.ini or something for it to work....is this a familiar problem?

Use wamperver 2 - a very good version to use, they have all of the bugs sorted out it this version; been using it now for about 5 years ish ~ before that I used xampp, and lampp (ubuntu) which I thought were kinda clunky.

Rw

In my opinion, the best solution if you have are deploying to linux and you have a workstation with adequate computing power and memory, is to run virtualization -- in the past I used Vmware, but the last few years I've been running sun's free Virtualbox.  I have a complete howto on setting up Centos, but I've setup other distros, most recently debian.

http://www.gizmola.com/blog/archives/blog/archives/95-Run-a-Centos-Lamp-development-server-on-XP-using-VirtualBox.html

http://www.gizmola.com/blog/archives/97-Centos-Virtual-LAMP-server-Part-II.html

Lots of advantages --- you can run the same environment as your server, you can run multiple VM's and simulate complex multi-server deployment environements, and best of all, you don't pollute your workstation with a bunch of software and services.  When you want your development server(s) you start up your VM, when you don't want it, shut em down.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.