How to Query an HTML page from MySQL

YourDirector

Hey everyone,

I'm very new to MySQL and am currently working on my first MySQL based website. However, what I originally planned to do may have been based on a drastic misunderstanding of what MySQL can be used for. Basically, I wanted to be able to have an HTML page in my MySQL database and use a query to call it on my website. However, If this is possible, I can't figure out how to do it. I understand how to query standard text and figures etc to echo onto a page, but when it comes to the HTML, if I use an echo command it displays nothing. I want it to load the HTML page through this. Is this possible?

The current query I am using is:

$result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM acts")
or die(mysql_error());  
$row = mysql_fetch_array( $result );
echo $row['body'];

?>

This is the query which returns nothing.

Thanks for any help you can give.

<?
// Open Database here.
$result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM acts WHERE page='home'")
or die(mysql_error());  
$row = mysql_fetch_array( $result );
?>
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd"
    >
<html lang="en">
<head>
    <title><? echo $row['title']; ?></title>
</head>
<body>
<? echo $row['body']; ?>

</body>
</html>

You want to store the content of the pages in a single column in the database?  You can do that, but it's really not any different than using flat files.  Actually, flat files would be far easier to manage.  The responses above are the correct way to use MySQL with a database, put elements into the database that you then use to build the pages.  If your site doesn't need that level of complexity, you're probably better off just using flat files and combining a wrapper file with content files in PHP or something of that nature.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.