Changing a PHP binary.

Quick question. I installed PHP / Apache / MySQL on Ubuntu 10.04 using tasksel (chose LAMP). I now need to use a specific php extension (pcntl), that is not enabled by default. So, I need to compile php, etc. I know I use: ./configure --enable-pcntl , make , make install. My question is, though, what other configure flags to I need to set so that I get the same functionality as the one that tasksel gave me? Like, don't I need to set a flag to get MySQL support? Finally, once it is compiled fine, and I did already, but am now worrying about the other flags, how do I tell the existing Apache install to use my new binary instead of the current one? Compiling put the new binary in /usr/local/bin, and running php -m from the command line shows that the module is indeed enabled, but using phpinfo(); on a page on the existing site on the server shows that the module isn't enabled, hence it is the wrong binary.

If there isn't an easy way to do it, I don't mind reinstalling, but I'd still like to know what flags to set to get the same default behavior, etc.

Thanks a lot,

Josh

You should be able to see the ./configure options for your existing install when you view phpinfo(), make sure you install all dependencies too though.

As for installing mod_php, within /etc/apache2/mods-available there is a file called php5.load. Within there you can tell Apache where your *so file is located. Of course, any changes to that file will require Apache to be restarted.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.