Friday13Games

tecno40

Ok I've spent the last 2 months working on this site, and i want to get some feedback on it. Please rate it 1-10, Give suggestions to make it better, and tell me if you plan on using the site in the future (if not why, ie. "i don't play flash games", or "the games on the site are boring").

Friday13games.com

First thing I noticed, being on a weak connection at the moment, was the load time. The thumbnails for the games are all large images with width and height attributes set to re-size them. This is a waste, as in your case the browser still has to download about 25-30 of these large images and then re-size them all. If you create small thumbnails for each then you'll notice an increase in performance, plus they'll look better.

Secondly.. I didn't really see any reason why someone might think to join (i.e. what benefit is there?), but gave the registration process a try anyway. The registration form looks almost identical to the login form, and are both requested from login.php? After registering I was given an internal server error, so I went back and tried the login form anyway. Strangely the 'invalid username / password' error was already there, and seems to be there permanently. My new username/password didn't work, and trying to register again came back saying my username was already taken?

The mark-up is pretty poor to be honest. You have no DOCTYPE, 176 validation errors, loads of use of deprecated tags, incomplete HTML structure, a table-based layout, large amounts of in-line CSS and JavaScript, etc. A lot of work to be done to improve it.

I'd give your site 3 out of 10.. And I'd question your legal rights to host those games?

I see what you mean about the pictures being too big and slowing down the loading process for the site, i will work on making a libary of smaller images soon.

Someone would want to join if they want to interact with the site & do things like chat and post comments. I haven't had any errors with the sign up, but i did recently move the site to a new server so I'll check on the reported errors in the sign up process.

Something is terribly wrong with the validator your using. It was marking completely fine tags as errors, and had a long list of errors for well made sites like google, facebook, and comcast.

What is wrong with tables and inline css?

EDIT: When i moved the files to the new server i left out an important file to the registration process. I added it back in and it should work now.

There's nothing wrong with the W3C validtor; in-fact the W3C are who literally set the standards. Can you give an example of a tag they report incorrect, you believe to be right?

There's nothing wrong with tables themselves, it's how you're using them. Tables are a bloated old-fashioned way of structuring web pages, plus they don't semantically describe the content they hold; DIVs and CSS should be used these days.

In-line CSS is bad because web browsers are unable to cache it, unlike they would if they were externalised. Also having a large chunk of CSS within the header of your document reduces SEO.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.