Browser game - Site design and game mechanics

intellix

Hey guys :D Perhaps something a little more interesting (I hope) for you to critique... and I want you guys to rip the hell out of it..

This is a game I'm currently making and have been for about 2 years now :D Done all the coding and a lot of the graphics on my own. Got another guy who designs the mechanics and features etc. There's also another guy who does bits and bobs like all the buildings, map squares, field squares etc.

Anyway, created using PHP and MySQL I'd like you guys to critique everything you can... Graphics aren't that tip top yet... still need to get a proper graphic designer to see what can be done but I guess critique the gameplay also :D

http://www.konoro.org/

Look forward to hearing bad things from you! ::)

i'm usually not the nicest person when it comes to website critiques.  Your design, while like you said arent the best, they are solid and I actually liked them.

the only bad things I saw throughout your site, and most people wouldnt have seen it.  is you have inline styles, you have css defined in your main document instead of an external document...  and you have a boatload of javascript at the end of the file...  make all those brought in via external files and it'll be a pretty solid foundation I think in terms of SEO stuff goes.

• 2 weeks later...

Landing page everything looks good until the "Join us" MAIN DESIGN red devil, the shape of it is fine, but the texture on the face is bad (if you care to make it absolute clean cut professional), you would never see that kind of texture on a professional game site like ubisoft etc. All is nice, just change that...I'm talking lots about it because its your main presentation image. In my opinion, fix that "dabbling" gouache high school  painting texture somehow and make the side of the  teeth more defined, they might look a little sloppy, but again, i really don't know what your audience target is...

The 3 little monster at the bottom look ok because they are small and the texture is less in focus( although i do see a white contour from when you cropped your images).

Is that overkill? Just trying to help, i know graphics...

The look I was trying to go for from the start was a Art-stylised 'Prince of Persia' sort of thing. Where everything looks painted and textured but the problem is the guy who did the blobs isn't much of a graphic designer, hes more of an artist than digital artist I think...

then the other guy who works on the buildings, canvas, game backgrounds etc is a completely different person altogether :/ He seems to want to take it his own way. Some of the graphics he creates are quite nice (I like the blue and red game backgrounds and I think some of his buildings are pretty cool) but then there are times where some of the stuff created looks like it was done drunk and its hard to understand if he has any sense of how things look at all.

He gives me bit by bit of the site instead of designing the entire thing, showing me so we both agree that it's what it should look like and where it should go, then dictate to me that it needs to be pixel perfect to his design.

I think at the moment the graphics pull the game down. I'd love a great graphic artist to tie everything together in one style that works.

Footer text isn't really anything important I don't think :D

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.