Coding a Help Desk

JohnJ

First place you should start is basic PHP. Coding a helpdesk which actually works is going to be a VERY difficult task for someone who is just setting out. Beginners usually do this with help from a book or tutorial series which lays down literally everything for you.

Practically, you need to know some basic stuff like interacting with a database, filtering input etc etc

If *I* was going to develop such an application, 90% of what I need would be coded already because I use OOP so I have a bunch of components I can use from the get-go. Which is why I would even suggest you do such a thing. If you have ANY other programming experience it will be easy for you to grasp OOP and how you can use it in php.

First - you define the application structure. Are you using MVC (model view controller) pattern? If so, that will likely affect the structure. Define where you'r going to put images, external javascript and css. Decide where you will put libraries (like jquery) or if you will use a framework. I would suggest if you can stomach the learning curve - use Zend Framework.

After you have that down you need to design the actual application. Feature sets, major components broke up into the smaller parts. The first component would be the 'wrapper' which manages the other components, then you need a component for database interaction, one for managing config settings, and routing.

If you dive into a framework (like Zend or CodeIgniter or something) a lot of the components you require will be largely coded for you. It is then a matter of extending those components and building specific application code.

One way to learn how it should be done is to download Hesk (open source php helpdesk) and learn from the source code.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.