Ahhh php problem

battlethegalaxy

Hiya Hope You Can Help Me

Okay I know this maybe a novice problem but it is giving me a right headache. My son and all his friends seem to be using lots of online gaming sites and filling his mums computer full of trojan horses and other forms of viruses.

SO i decided to create a safe gaming website for him and his friends. I found a nice script to install and the installation  con.php file seems to be in a read only mode, so i have to download to word.

Once ive ammended the file and saved it, it uploads again to my file manager as a text document instead of a php file. Will my web host package still be able to read it. Ive looked at both documents and they look the same cos all ive had to change are passwords and mysql settings but one states php and the other as a rich text document.

As I said im a novice when it comes to php, so dont really know that much, i intend on taking a course but need to get this sorted over the next few days.

Many thanks in advance.

Your first problem is using word, try using notepad instead. Secondly, when you are saving the file, the 3 character extension (ie. .txt .doc .jpg etc) is being overwritten as a text file (.txt) If you have extensions visable, just right click and rename the file back to .php

If you dont have extensions visable you will need to make them visable, depending on your version of windows this is different however a quick google search for show extension windows XX (where XX is your version such as XP vista 7 etc...) will give you as much information as you need.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.