Help with code...

tthdoc

Could use some help.  I am overlooking something here but can't figure it out.

I have a database with a table with 3 columns - id, total_value and total_votes.  I have a second table with 2 columns id and votes1.  What I need is the number total_value/total_votes to be inserted into the votes column, and making sure the id's match.  Here is the SQL statement I tried but get an error.

INSERT INTO joom_stories (votes1) SELECT (total_value/total_votes) FROM joom_ratings WHERE joom_stories.id=joom_ratings.id

I get this error..

#1054 - Unknown column 'joom_stories.id' in 'where clause'

Thanks,

Doc

Ok, now for another problem.  I tried your solution as well as:

INSERT INTO joom_stories (votes1) SELECT (total_value/total_votes) FROM joom_ratings,joom_stories WHERE id=joom_ratings.id

Both ways seemed to do the same thing.  When I went to the tables, it added a new row for each transfer.  So instead of having, say 50 rows in stories and 50 rows in ratings, I end up with 100 rows in stories (and no value in votes 1 of the existing 50 rows changed) and still 50 in ratings.  So instead of matching the id's and replacing the votes value, it just keeps adding more id numbers.

Doc

OK finally figured in out.  Insert will insert rows (duh).  I want to update.  So for anyone who wants to do the same thing, here is what I used:

UPDATE joom_stories s

SET votes1 = (SELECT (total_value/total_votes) FROM joom_ratings r WHERE s.id=r.id)

Doc

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.