Best way to store "friends" in a database?

ttocskcaj

I'm working on  a Social Network from scratch. I'm stuck on how to store friend relationships between users?

On one topic here, I found an idea.

Have a table with 3 columns; id,user_1,user_2

each relationship would have a new row in the database.

Would this be the best way to do this? I can imagine the table would get quite big.

If each user has 100 friends and there's 10000 users that's 1000000 rows. etc

I can see more advantages to having a row id than not having one.  It's auto incremented, what can it hurt?

The compound user_1 and user_2 is unique why add more unique values to something that's already unique? Adding the extra ID shows a lack of DB knowledge as you can easily reference a compound key from another table:

CREATE TABLE compound (
  user ..
  friend ..
  FOREIGN KEY (user, friend) REFERENCES friends (user, friend)
);

Don't add an ID just for the sake of having an ID in each table. On a side note ID's are not by definition INT UNSIGNED NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT they could aswell be a VARCHAR, just so you know ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I can see more advantages to having a row id than not having one.  It's auto incremented, what can it hurt?

The compound user_1 and user_2 is unique why add more unique values to something that's already unique? Adding the extra ID shows a lack of DB knowledge as you can easily reference a compound key from another table:

Good insights! I always add a primary key, thinking that's just the way it's done. Obviously not so. I gain another gram of knowledge!

Good insights! I always add a primary key, thinking that's just the way it's done. Obviously not so. I gain another gram of knowledge!

Glad I could help ;)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.